Teacher: Jonny Coleshill. Areas of speciality: English & Humanities
- Graduated with a B.Ed from UBC’s WKTEP Program (2006)
- Completed a Major in English, through BC Open University / Thompson Rivers (2005)
- Graduated with a BA in Linguistics and a Minor in Anthropology, through UVic (2001)
- Visiting Student Status at St.John’s Memorial University of Newfoundland.
Over 14 years' teaching experience:
- English / Humanities Teacher, Seven Summits Centre for Learning, Rossland (2013 to Present).
- English / Humanities Teacher, School District 20 (2006 - 2013)
- English Teacher. Abu Dhabi Education Council. (2009 - 10)
- Alternate Ed / Haida Language and Culture Program. Queen Charlotte Secondary School. (2006 - 2008)
What do you enjoy most about teaching?
Spending my days with amazing people and having the privilege of watching young people grow into young adults who are prepared for the world.
I wanted to share my experiences, love of the world and the people in it, and make sure that school is a positive experience for all students!
Your teaching mantra?
Follow your passions and always do your best. Strive to always do more than enough.
What's the most rewarding aspect of teaching?
Taking young people out into the world, on hiking, camping and field trips, and experiencing things for the first time alongside them.
Three words that best describe you in and outside the classroom?
Awesome, cool, relaxed!
In what ways has your own high school experience had a positive impact on your teaching?
To avoid and overcome challenging social situations I try to work towards inclusion and celebrate the skills and positive aspects of all students.
Why do you like teaching at 7S?
It allows for flexibility for all staff and students, and it truly does feel like a family, where we all get to know each other so well!
What do you like most about the subjects you teach?
They allow for creativity, personalized learning, and an application to the world we live in.
Your passions and Interests?
The outdoors, my family, and making the world a better place!
Best fact about you?
I’ve been to 44 countries!
'Shantaram' by Gregory David Roberts - It’s beautifully written and a truly creative and appreciative observation of the world.
What holds the key for success in education and life?
Always do more than enough!
How do you get the best out of your students?
By developing strong and respectful relationships.
There are no mistakes. Only new paths to explore. Gregory David Roberts - from my recommended read!